Mica G. Henderson, LMSW
Mica G. Henderson, LMSW, is a former social worker in the ADHD and Behavior Disorders Center at the Child Mind Institute. Mica is driven by the goal of raising awareness and reducing stigma around mental health and LGBTQ issues, and she is dedicated to helping children and their families find their voices, reflect on their lives, and support one another.
Mica has facilitated many groups and workshops helping parents, educators, and young people learn about topics including depression, suicidal ideation, grief and loss, supporting the LGBTQ population, and interpersonal violence. She is also an administrator of the first Facebook group created to support parents of transgender kids.
As a queer woman of color, Mica understands that sometimes society makes things harder for people in these populations. Therefore, she approaches each client with the view that they are the expert on their own life and may just need some gentle guidance and resources to help see things more clearly. Mica has worked (and raised her children) in several big cities and appreciates the added stress that living in such busy places can add to the lives of parents and young people. Remembering to slow down, reevaluate our needs, and determine what is working or should be adjusted is necessary, but often overlooked. This is where Mica can be a support — helping clients get back in tune with their needs.
- Adjunct Professor, Wurzweiler School of Social Work, Yeshiva University, New York, NY
- Social Worker, New Alternatives For LGBTQ+ Homeless Youth, New York, NY
- Mental Health Consultant, Ashinaga, New York, NY
- Assistant Director of Lifeline, TELL (Tokyo English Lifeline), Tokyo, Japan
- Social Worker, Tamworth Project, London, UK
- MSW, Wurzweiler School of Social Work, Yeshiva University, New York, NY
- MSc (ABD) in Politics, Culture, and Gender, Birkbeck College, University of London, London, UK
- BA in Women’s Studies and Political Science, Hunter College, CUNY, New York, NY