Michelle S. Kaplan, LCSW
Licensed Clinical Social Worker, School and Community Programs, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, ADHD and Behavior Disorders Center
Child Mind Institute
Emma Calkins, Staff AssociateEmma.Calkins@childmind.org
Michelle S. Kaplan, LCSW, is a licensed clinical social worker for the School and Community Programs team and a licensed clinical social worker in the ADHD and Behavior Disorders Center at the Child Mind Institute. She specializes in the evaluation and treatment of ADHD, disruptive behavior disorders, selective mutism, and other anxiety and mood disorders in children and adolescents.
She has expertise in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), parent-child interaction therapy (PCIT), parent management training (PMT) and interpersonal psychotherapy for adolescents (IPT-A). She has particular interest in real-time coaching of parents and teachers to teach them skills to better manage disruptive and anxious behaviors.
Ms. Kaplan has extensive experience providing school-based consultation, working collaboratively with teachers and outside providers to enhance treatment. She has worked in community mental health centers and at therapeutic summer programs for children with mental health and learning disorders. During her graduate studies, she completed social work field placements in preventive family counseling and in an outpatient child and adolescent mental health clinic.
Ms. Kaplan is passionate about integrating clinical practice and research to improve evaluation and treatment methods. She is committed to ensuring that children and their families receive evidence-based treatment that is individualized to their unique needs and goals.
- Clinical Evaluator, Nathan S. Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, Orangeburg, NY
- Assistant Director, Big Apple Day Program, New York, NY
- Senior Clinical Research Interviewer and Psychometrician, Pediatric Psychopharmacology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Cambridge, MA
- Head Counselor, Ramapo for Children, Ramapo, NY
- Social Work Intern, Bedford Stuyvesant Family Center, Brooklyn Bureau of Community Service
- Social Work Intern, Child and Adolescent Outpatient Services, Sound View Throgs Neck Community Mental Health Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Yeshiva University
- MSW, Silver School of Social Work, New York University
- BA, Psychology, Colgate University