Case Manager, Autism Center
Child Mind Institute
Emma Calkins, Staff AssociateEmma.firstname.lastname@example.org
Sarena Bernard is joining the Child Mind Institute as a Case Manager. As a Case Manager in the Autism Center. Ms. Bernard will collaborate with families to advocate for them and facilitate coordination to services in order to meet the individual’s and family’s needs. In her work, she will promote quality service navigation for community linkage and support.
For the last few years Ms. Bernard has worked as a Pediatric Coordinator in a hospital setting. In this role, she worked closely with her medical and clinical team to coordinate comprehensive services for medically fragile children, who also have autism and other developmental disabilities. Sarena looks forward to transferring her skills to fulfill her role as a Case Manager here at the Child Mind Institute.
Prior to joining the Autism Center of the Child Mind Institute, Ms. Bernard has worked as a teacher and parent trainer within an Early Childhood School/Early Intervention Program specializing in children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Ms. Bernard has experience conducting functional behavioral assessments (FBAs) and creating evidence-based, data-driven behavior intervention plans (BIPs) that extend beyond the classroom setting. She also has a great deal of experience as an ABA therapist in a school and home setting providing 1:1 instructional therapy for children on the spectrum. Ms. Bernard’s expertise includes implementing communication systems for students in an educational and home setting, as well as parent training.
Ms. Bernard is a second-year master’s degree candidate in Education (M.Ed.) Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) with emphasis on Curriculum and Instruction. She is dedicated to studying and training to provide exceptional ABA therapy to children and adolescents on the autism spectrum. Upon completion of her graduate program and additional training Ms. Bernard looks forward to becoming a Board-Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA).
Ms. Bernard is passionate about helping families with children on the spectrum receive exceptional therapy and case management services. She is committed to raising autism awareness so that every child has access to effective treatment and achieve their full potential.
- Pediatric Coordinator/Care Manager, Cohens Children’s Medical Center General Pediatrics – Northwell Health
- Behavior Specialist, Sick Kids Need Involved People- SKIP of New York
- Teacher, Parent Trainer, Quality Services for the Autism Community (QSAC)- Early Childhood School/Early Intervention Program
- ABA Behavioral Therapist, A&J Behavioral Health
- BA, Speech-Language-Pathology, Disability Studies Minor, Hofstra University
- New York State Child and Adolescent Needs and Strength (CANS-NY)
- Behavioral Health Core Curriculum, Northwell Health
- New York State Education Department- State Certification Teaching Assistant Level III
- Speech Pathology Clinical Training, Joan and Arnold Saltzman Community Services Center -Hofstra University