Brave Buddies Intern
The Child Mind Institute is an independent, national nonprofit dedicated to transforming the lives of children and families struggling with mental health and learning disorders. Our teams work every day to deliver the highest standards of care, advance the science of the developing brain and empower parents, professionals and policymakers to support children when and where they need it most. Together with our supporters, we’re helping children reach their full potential in school and in life. We share all of our resources freely and do not accept any funding from the pharmaceutical industry.
Child Mind Institute is seeking highly skilled and motivated individuals to join our team as counselors for our Brave Buddies Program. Brave Buddies is an intensive group behavioral treatment program designed to help children with Selective Mutism (SM) speak in school and other public places. Brave Buddies is offered as a weeklong session twice a year, and as one-day session four times throughout the year. Counselors for this program are trained using behavioral therapy skills to work with children with SM in challenging activities, prompting them to use verbal responses and speak spontaneously as they play with other children and adults.
Reporting to the Director of the Selective Mutism program, This is an unpaid, part-time internship position located at our NYC headquarters.
- Assist clinical and administrative staff in preparing for the program in the weeks prior to, during, and after Brave Buddies
- Attend training sessions in weeks prior to Brave Buddies
- Work with Brave Buddies Campers during lead-in sessions, as well as Brave Buddies Camp, providing behavioral therapy treatment supervised by Dr. Busman
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree acquired or in progress
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Prior experience working with children and/or in a clinical setting
- Professional demeanor and attitude; ability to interface with families as well as senior leadership, clinicians, and staff
- Team player and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to maintain discretion and integrity
Application Details and Instructions
Click here to apply. Please upload cover letter and resume as one document in the resume section on the application site. Applications are accepted on a rolling admissions basis and as needed to manage the Brave Buddies program. Brave Buddies is offered in weekly sessions twice per year and in one-day booster sessions quarterly. For specific dates for the upcoming year, please see the Brave Buddies description on our website.
Child Mind Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse staff; individuals from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To learn more about the Child Mind Institute, please visit www.childmind.org.
No phone calls or recruiters, please. This position will remain open until filled.