Clinical Psychologist, ADHD and Behavior Disorders Center
The Child Mind Institute is an independent, national nonprofit dedicated to transforming the lives of children and families struggling with mental health and learning disorders. Our teams work every day to deliver the highest standards of care, advance the science of the developing brain and empower parents, professionals and policymakers to support children when and where they need it most. Together with our supporters, we’re helping children reach their full potential in school and in life. We share all of our resources freely and do not accept any funding from the pharmaceutical industry.
The Child Mind Institute is recruiting a clinical psychologist for its ADHD and Behavior Disorders Center, one of four programs that comprise the rapidly expanding Child Mind Medical Practice. The Center provides cutting edge, evidence based treatment options for children and adolescents suffering from a range of behavioral and attention-related concerns. Clinicians in the ADHD and Behavior Disorders Center regularly provide behavioral parent training interventions, school-based behavioral consultation, and cognitive behavioral therapy. Innovative programs housed within the Center include our 4-week Summer Program, a 1-day intensive behavioral skills training program called BEST, and pilot work on intensive behavioral parent training interventions. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to participate in these programs and to contribute to a dynamic, collaborative team.
Reporting to the Senior Director, ADHD and Behavior Disorders Center, this is an exempt, full-time position located in our NYC headquarters. We offer competitive salary and benefits.
- Provide comprehensive diagnostic evaluations and treatment to children and adolescents with behavioral problems, particularly associated with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), oppositional defiant disorder (ODD), other disruptive behavior disorders (DBDs) as well as comorbid anxiety and mood disorders.
- Provide empirically supported cognitive behavioral or behavioral parent training interventions for children and adolescents with externalizing disorders.
- Conduct family-based interventions with parents and other family members, and maintain collateral contacts with educators and other providers.
- Collaborate with our board-certified child and adolescent psychiatrists on cases requiring pharmacotherapy.
- Provide clinical supervision to psychology trainees and participate in providing psychoeducation on ADHD and behavior disorders for community outreach and presentation efforts.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Senior Director, ADHD and Behavior Disorders Center.
- Doctoral degree from an APA-accredited program in clinical psychology
- Completion of APA-approved clinical pre-doctoral internship
- Completion of post-doctoral fellowship or equivalent work experience
- New York State psychology license
- Flexibility to work hours to meet productivity goals and deadlines
- Team player and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Exceptional clinical skills in the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with ADHD and behavior disorders, as well as their families
- Demonstrated expertise in at least one evidence-based intervention for externalizing disorders with an interest in learning additional interventions
- Demonstrated experience in working clinically with complex comorbid presentations including mood, anxiety, and autism spectrum disorders.
- Prior experience supervising and training psychology trainees at various levels
- Demonstrated experience with professional writing as well as with public speaking
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of individuals/groups
- Motivated self-starter with great attitude, flexibility, and entrepreneurial spirit
- Able to work under pressure to prioritize and manage workload, manage simultaneous tasks, and meet deadlines within a fast paced and changing environment
- Strong teamwork ethic; positive, flexible attitude; ability to take complete ownership of responsibilities
- Passion for the Child Mind Institute mission
Application details and Instructions
Click here to apply. Please upload cover letter and resume as one document on the resume section of the application site. Application materials may be addressed to David Anderson, Ph.D., Senior Director, ADHD and Behavior Disorders Center.
Employment at Will Relationship: This position description does not constitute a guarantee that employment will continue for any specified period of time. Rather, employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and Child Mind Institute, and can be terminated at will by the employee or by Child Mind Institute.
Child Mind Institute reserves the right to modify the job description and/or reporting relationship at any time.
Child Mind Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Child Mind Institute is committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse staff; individuals from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To learn more about the Child Mind Institute, please visit www.childmind.org.
No phone calls or recruiters, please. This position will remain open until filled.