Sleep-Wake Disorders: Diagnosis

If a sleep-wake disorder is suspected, a primary care physician may recommend that a child see a sleep specialist. A sleep specialist will ask the child and the family questions about her sleep habits, and may suggest keeping track of her sleeping patterns in a “sleep diary.” A sleep specialist may also administer a test called a polysomnogram to measure brain and muscle activity (including breathing) while she is asleep.