If you are interested in having your child evaluated by a clinician at the Child Mind Institute, your first step is to contact us by calling (212) 308-3118 or by submitting the Request an Appointment form.
You will then speak with an intake coordinator who will help us determine which clinician is the best match for your child’s specific needs. Our intake coordinators can also answer any questions you may have about the services offered at the Child Mind Institute.
Your initial telephone conversation should take about ten minutes. During this call, you will be asked to describe your child’s current symptoms and express your main concerns.
Questions We May Ask
- What worries you about your child’s current behavior?
- Has your child ever been seen by any other mental health professionals?
- Has your child ever had any educational or neuropsychological testing?
- Is your child taking any medication?
- How did you hear about us?
Following this conversation, our intake coordinator will review your answers with our Associate Medical Director. They will match your child with a clinician for a comprehensive evaluation and treatment plan.
Your First Appointment
Our intake coordinators will schedule your first appointment and send you our welcome package including online patient portal access.
In order to be fully prepared for your first appointment, we request that you review and return the following administrative documents at least three days prior to your first visit:
- Acknowledgment of Receipt of Notice of Privacy Practices
- Insurance and Financial Agreement
- Credit Card Authorization Form
- Consent to Video for Treatment and Training (when applicable)
- Authorization for Release of Protected Health Information (when applicable)
To make the most of your first appointment and your time with your clinician, we also ask you to complete a symptom checklist and life history questionnaire through our online patient portal and provide your child’s previous medical records. Having this information in advance helps our clinicians prepare for your evaluation.
Once your first appointment is scheduled, our intake coordinators will introduce you to your clinician’s staff associate, who will be your main point of contact throughout your time at the Child Mind Institute.
As you prepare for your child’s appointment, your clinician’s staff associate will remain in contact with you to answer any questions you may have.
Want more information? Read our Frequently Asked Questions.