Trauma Treatment Groups for Students (TTGS) Training Program
The Child Mind Institute offers a trauma training program for school-based mental health providers on how to deliver group treatment for trauma-exposed students.
Trauma Treatment Groups for Students (TTGS) is an evidence-based treatment protocol for students ages 8-18 struggling in the aftermath of trauma exposures. TTGS is based on trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy (TF-CBT), modified for students in high need communities who are at risk for experiencing chronic traumatic events. Research has shown that exposure to traumatic events and chronic stressors has adverse effects on students’ school, social, and family functioning. TTGS provides schools with the opportunity to address the mental health epidemic that follows exposure to trauma.
TTGS is to be used with groups of students who have been impacted by traumatic events and are experiencing moderate levels of post-traumatic stress symptoms. Students typically engage in 10 group sessions that focus on evidence-based coping skills specific to symptoms that follow exposure to traumatic events. Treatment also includes two individual sessions where students focus on addressing their specific traumatic event. Lastly, TTGS includes ways to engage families in the support of treatment gains and generalization of skills.
After receiving this training, participants will be able to:
- Provide treatment for groups of students struggling with symptoms of PTSD and depression in the aftermath of trauma exposure. Training will specifically include virtual delivery of TTGS treatment protocol.
- Have access to a Child Mind Institute trauma team member for ongoing supervision as they lead at least one treatment group.
This program is appropriate for NYC DOE school-based mental health providers with a background in TF-CBT who can commit to:
- Attend an all-day virtual training from trainers at the Child Mind Institute.
- Participate in weekly 30-minute virtual clinical supervision for the school year.
- Treat at least one group of up to six trauma-exposed students during the school year.
- Collect measures pre- and post-intervention and provide data to the Child Mind Institute for review.
If you are interested in receiving this training and have access to students with whom you may provide trauma treatment this school year, we invite you to apply.
Date: Tuesday, September 21st | Tuesday, October 12th | Tuesday, November 16th
Time: 9am – 2pm EST
Location: Virtual (ZOOM)
For school-based mental health professionals who have participated in a TTGS training in the past and are looking for a refresher course, our team will also offer consultation and a 3- hour booster to help facilitators deliver treatment in their school.
Date: Monday, September 20th
Time: 9am to 12pm EST
Location: Virtual (ZOOM)
If you are interested in providing training for your entire school in TTGS, please contact Janine Domingues at Janine.Domingues@childmind.org.
Our School and Community Programs team has plans within the next year to engage in capacity-building training on a national level. If you are interested in receiving announcements about future training dates, please join our listserv here.