Trauma Treatment Groups for Students (TTGS) Training Program
The Child Mind Institute offers a trauma treatment training program for school-based mental health providers on the delivery of evidence-based group treatment for trauma-exposed students.
The Trauma Treatment Groups for Students (TTGS) intervention is an evidence-based treatment protocol for students ages 8-18 struggling in the aftermath of trauma exposure. TTGS is based on Cognitive Behavioral Interventions for Trauma in Schools (CBITS) and modified for students in high need communities who are at risk for experiencing chronic traumatic events. Research has shown that students exposed to traumatic events and chronic stressors have adverse effects on school, social, and family functioning. TTGS provides schools with the opportunity to address the mental health epidemic that follows exposure to trauma.
TTGS is to be used with groups of students who have been impacted by traumatic events and are experiencing moderate levels of post-traumatic stress symptoms. Students typically engage in 10 group sessions that focus on evidence-based coping skills specific to symptoms that follow exposure to traumatic events. Treatment also includes two individual sessions where students focus on addressing their specific traumatic event. Lastly, TTGS includes ways to engage families in the support of treatment gains and generalization of skills.
After receiving this training, participants will be able to:
- Provide treatment for groups of students struggling with symptoms of PTSD and depression in the aftermath of trauma exposure. Training will specifically include virtual delivery of TTGS treatment protocol.
- Have access to a Child Mind Institute trauma team member for ongoing supervision as they lead at least one treatment group.
This program is appropriate for NYC DOE school-based mental health providers with a background in TF-CBT who can commit to:
- Attend an all-day virtual training from the School and Community Programs team at the Child Mind Institute.
- Participate in weekly 30-minute virtual clinical supervision for the school year.
- Treat at least one group of up to six trauma-exposed students during the school year.
- Collect measures pre- and post-intervention and provide data to the Child Mind Institute for review.
If you are interested in receiving this training and have access to students with whom you may provide trauma treatment this school year, we invite you to apply.
Training Details (NYC)
Dates: Tuesday, October 4 and Thursday, October 27
Time: 9am to 4pm
Location: Child Mind Institute Office, Midtown Manhattan
Date: Tuesday, November 15
Time: 9am to 4pm
Location: Virtual (Zoom Webinar)
The above training dates are for employees of NYCDOE schools.
If you are interested in providing TTGS training in your school district, please contact email@example.com.
Training Details (National)
Our School and Community Programs team would be happy to partner with your school, school district or organization if you would be interested in holding a training for your staff. If you are interested or have questions regarding our curriculums and training opportunities available through the Child Mind Institute, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.