Mental Health Skill-Building Training Program
The Child Mind Institute’s School and Community Programs team is providing a training opportunity in our Mental Health Skill-Building (MHSB) Training Program. The MHSB curriculum is designed to introduce students to a set of evidence-based coping skills that prepare them to effectively regulate emotions, manage thoughts and behaviors, interact effectively with others, and engage in relaxation and mindfulness practices to navigate stressful situations.
Grounded in cognitive behavioral techniques with a focus on relationship-building, the Mental Health Skill-Building curriculum is designed to promote individual growth and resilience while encouraging students to think of each other and their communities. The curriculum is designed to be complementary to a variety of social-emotional learning curricula and is delivered through a six-part modular skill-building series. Each module is divided into several lessons to incorporate within the academic day. It is adapted for kindergarten through 12th grade, and all related materials are available in both English and Spanish.
School-based staff who can implement MHSB curriculum to students are eligible for this training. The training program includes:
- Live and virtual four-hour comprehensive training on the MHSB curriculum with a Child Mind Institute lead clinician.
- MHSB manual, including scripts, handouts and activity ideas for each of the 6 modules. The manual offers Junior (Grades K-2), Youth (Grades 3-8) and Teen (Grades 7-12) adaptations.
- Access to our online training platform Thinkific, which has all our resources and materials available virtually for download.
- Biweekly follow-up consultation with Child Mind Institute clinicians to further discuss strategies for effective implementation of MHSB in your school.
Clinicians will guide participants through each module and will offer ideas for how to adapt them to the needs of the students being served. Participants will be encouraged to build upon the curriculum in accordance with their own ideas and styles while ensuring that the key take-aways for each module are included.
Upon completion of the full training program, participants will be MHSB-certified facilitators and will receive a certificate for their records. Completion of the training program includes:
- Participation in 6 or more consultation calls
- Delivery of MHSB curriculum to at least one student group
- Collection of MHSB implementation data for review with Child Mind Institute staff
If you are interested in receiving this training and have access to students with whom you may provide the MHSB curriculum this school year, we invite you to apply.
Training Details (NYC)
Date: Wednesday, March 15, 2023
Time: 9am to 2pm
Location: Child Mind Institute Office, Midtown Manhattan
The above training dates are for employees of NYCDOE schools.
If you are interested in providing MHSB training in your school district, please contact email@example.com.
Training Details (National)
Our School and Community Programs team would be happy to partner with your school, school district or organization if you would be interested in holding a training for your staff. If you are interested or have questions regarding our curriculums and training opportunities available through the Child Mind Institute, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.