Ask an Expert
Questions About Learning Disorders
- Is dysgraphia acknowledged by schools?
- What type of OT is beneficial for an approaching teenager diagnosed with nonverbal learning disorder?
- Teacher and parents say a first-grader isn’t retaining information from day to day. What assessment would you suggest?
- Should I teach my child a second language or will it delay her language development?
- Our 2-year-old grandson doesn’t speak yet. Is using sign language a good idea?
- My son needs extra time on the SAT. Does anyone test high schoolers?
- My son has made great progress in day treatment and is ready to return to a regular school. How can we get the school to work with him if he still has occasional outbursts?
- My son can’t stop kicking the floor in class. Sensory strategies haven’t helped. What can we do?
- My daughter’s school would like her to repeat second grade. When is it good to keep a child back, if ever?
- My daughter is so frustrated by her learning disorder she’s having tantrums at school. What can we do?
- My 7-year-old, who has a mild form of cerebral palsy, has been having outbursts at home since starting school. What should I do?
- My 7-year-old son with dyslexia is easily frustrated or angered by things outside of school. Is that common?
- My 5-year-old son, who has a development delay, is very independent but does not want to do his homework. What can I do?
- My 4-year-old with a behavior disorder attends therapy but she can’t compose sentences or express feelings. Am I doing enough for her?
- When should you get a neuropsych evaluation for a child starting school in the fall?
- I’m working with a student who doesn’t want to read out loud and is unresponsive in class. Please help!
- I’m homeschooling my daughter with selective mutism because the school wouldn’t help her. Am I doing the right thing?
- How can I increase the positive interactions I have with my child who has ADHD and dyslexia?
- A 10-year-old boy has severe memory issues. What do you recommend his parents do? His public school?