Heather Bernstein, PsyD, is the Co-Director of Dialectical Behavior Therapy Programs and a psychologist in the Mood Disorders Center at the Child Mind Institute. Dr. Bernstein works with children, adolescents and their families to address depression, mood dysregulation and suicidality. Dr. Bernstein utilizes therapeutic interventions grounded in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) and family systems therapy. Dr. Bernstein has experience working in inpatient, residential and school settings with diagnostically complex individuals. In addition, she has specialized training in the treatment of childhood obesity.
Dr. Bernstein strongly believes in the importance of understanding the individual from a holistic perspective and emphasizes the connection between physical and mental health. Dr. Bernstein examines how relationships, behaviors, thoughts and emotions intersect to contribute to mood disordered symptoms and their treatment. She is passionate about educating the general public about mental health issues, treatment and stigma. Dr. Bernstein values collaboration in the therapeutic relationship and aims to help children, adolescents and their families meet their potential and treatment goals.
- Clinical Psychologist, Grove School
- Clinical Psychologist/Consultant for the Parenting Mindfully for Health Study, Yale Stress Center
- Post-doctoral fellow in Pediatric Weight Management, Connecticut Children’s Medical Center/Institute of Living
- Pre-doctoral intern in Clinical Inpatient/Intensive Outpatient Psychology, University Neuropsychiatric Institute
- Extern, University of Washington Autism Center
- Extern, Pediatric Inpatient Unit, Georgia Regents University
- Extern, Adult Inpatient Unit, East Central Georgia Regional Hospital
- Extern, Child NeuroBehavioral Center for Health and Wellness
- Extern, University of Hartford Counseling Center
- Extern, Connecticut Children’s Medical Center School
- PsyD, Clinical Psychology, University of Hartford
- BS, Psychology, Union College