Jamie M. Howard, PhD, is a clinical advisor at the Child Mind Institute. She is also the organization’s previous Director of the Trauma and Resilience Service, and a former senior psychologist in the Anxiety Disorders Center.
She specializes in the evaluation and treatment of anxiety and mood disorders in children and adolescents, and has expertise in treating post-traumatic stress and adjustment disorders across the lifespan.
Dr. Howard has extensive experience providing cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to children, teens and young adults suffering from a range of anxiety disorders, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). She has received specialized training in several innovative treatments, including trauma focused-CBT, cognitive processing therapy and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).
Dr. Howard’s past work includes developing and testing programs to help returning veterans and their family members, serving as a crisis counselor in the aftermath of the World Trade Center attacks and providing consultation to staff at a preschool for at-risk children. She has co-authored scholarly articles for several journals, including Psychotherapy and Journal of Traumatic Stress, as well as book chapters on helping children and families following trauma exposure.
- Clinical Research Associate, National Center for PTSD, VA Boston Healthcare System
- Project Coordinator, Child and Family Resilience Program, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Community Trauma Response Counselor, Safe Horizon
- Clinical Fellow, Center for Returning Veterans, VA Boston Healthcare System
- Intern, Boston Consortium in Clinical Psychology (affiliated with Harvard Medical School and Boston University School of Medicine)
- Extern/Research Assistant, Children’s Memorial Hospital, Chicago
- PhD, Clinical Psychology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University
- EdM, Human Development and Psychology, Graduate School of Education, Harvard University
- BS, Human Development, College of Human Ecology, Cornell University
Media & Public Outreach
- ABC News
- CBS Mornings
- CBS News
- Good Morning America
- NBC News
- The New York Times
- The Today Show
- The Washington Post
- US News and World Report
- USA Today
More from Jamie Howard, PhD
- CBS Mornings: CBS News and Stations address the youth mental health crisis in America
- What Is Complex Trauma?
- CBS New York: Climate anxiety impacting more young people; Expert offers suggestions on how to handle it
- CBS Mornings: How to Talk to Teens About Cyberbullying
- TODAY: Parents ‘must be calm’ when talking to young kids about tragedies