Joanna R. Stern, PsyD
Senior Clinical Psychologist, Mood Disorders Center; Director, Dialectical Behavior Therapy Program
Child Mind Institute
Andrew Floersheimer, Staff Associateandrew.firstname.lastname@example.org
Joanna R. Stern, PsyD, is a senior clinical psychologist and the director of the Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Outpatient Program within the Mood Disorders Center at the Child Mind Institute. She has experience in the evaluation and treatment of children and adolescents across a variety of settings, including inpatient, residential, intensive and traditional outpatient psychotherapy. For over a decade, Dr. Stern has treated children and adolescents with mood disorders, with a special focus on complex presentations and co-occurring trauma. She has expertise in cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and other evidence-based treatments, as well as specialized training and experience in providing family therapy to diverse populations of children, adolescents and their families.
Dr. Stern is intensively trained in DBT, with almost 10 years of experience in providing individual and group DBT to adolescents and their families, while supervising and teaching students and clinicians in providing DBT services. In addition, she has taught and presented at academic medical centers and community mental health organizations on a variety of topics including the applications of DBT and behavioral approaches to family conflict, as well as child and teen depression, anxiety and self-injury. Dr. Stern has also participated in a first-of-its-kind intensive training in a new adaptation of DBT for children and preadolescents.
Dr. Stern is dedicated to increasing public awareness about DBT and other empirically supported treatments for mood and anxiety disorders. She is devoted to providing children, adolescents and their parents exceptional treatment that gives them the support and tools necessary to make meaningful changes in their daily lives. Dr. Stern’s particular area of interest is providing support to parents and family members of children, adolescents and young adults engaging in DBT.
- Assistant Clinical Director and Licensed Psychologist, Mount Sinai-St. Luke’s Hospital Child and Family Institute Outpatient Department
- Treatment Team Coordinator and Licensed Psychologist, Bronx Children’s Psychiatric Center
- Clinical Psychologist in private practice in Manhattan
- Licensed Psychologist, St. Christopher’s Inc. residential treatment center
- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Post-doctoral Fellow in Child Clinical Psychology, North Shore-Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Pre-doctoral Psychology Intern in Clinical Psychology, Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center
- PsyD, Clinical Psychology, CW Post Campus of Long Island University
- MS, Applied Psychology, CW Post Campus of Long Island University
- BA, Child Development and French, Tufts University