Paul Mitrani, MD, PhD
Clinical Director; Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
Child Mind Institute
Caroline Gabriele, Staff Associatecaroline.firstname.lastname@example.org
Paul Mitrani, MD, PhD, is clinical director and a child and adolescent psychiatrist at the Child Mind Institute. He has extensive experience evaluating and treating youth with complex mental health problems, including depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), tics, gender dysphoria and autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
Dr. Mitrani, a graduate of the Triple Board Program at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, is board-certified in child and adolescent psychiatry, adult psychiatry and pediatrics. His background in pediatrics allows him to address broader issues related to patients with medical illnesses or gender dysphoria. Through a developmentally based, patient-centered approach, Dr. Mitrani formulates an ideal treatment plan for each patient that can include medication and therapeutic interventions, such as parent management training, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and insight-oriented therapy.
During his five years at Stony Brook University School of Medicine, Dr. Mitrani was Director of Outpatient Psychiatry Services and Director of the Child and Adolescent Consultation & Liaison Service. These roles have helped him understand the multitude of factors that can affect a child’s well-being, including both physical and mental health challenges and family dynamics. As director of outpatient services, Dr. Mitrani increased access to high-quality, evidence-based mental health services and directed the expansion of services for patients with autism.
Dr. Mitrani has experience working collaboratively with other pediatricians, including specialists in endocrinology, hematology/oncology, neurology, cardiology, pulmonology, and nephrology. He benefits from having seen many children over the course of normal development as well as those who struggle with mental health disorders. His experience training medical students, residents and fellows enables him to communicate more effectively with his patients and their families and to advocate effectively for their well-being with other clinicians.
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Psychiatry, Stony Brook University School of Medicine
- Director, Psychiatry Outpatient Services, Stony Brook University School of Medicine
- Director, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Consultation and Liaison Services, Stony Brook University School of Medicine
- Triple Board Residency Program, Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Psychoanalytic Fellowship, The New York Psychoanalytic Society and Institute
- PhD, Biochemistry, Medical Scientist Training Program, State University of New York at Buffalo
- MD, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, SUNY Buffalo
- BS, Biochemistry, Psychobiology and Philosophy, State University of New York at Binghamton
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in Psychiatry
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry