David Anderson, PhD
Senior Director, ADHD and Behavior Disorders Center, Director of Programs
Child Mind Institute
Emily Abromowitz, Staff AssociateEmily.Abromowitz@childmind.org
David Anderson, PhD, is senior director of the ADHD and Behavior Disorders Center and the director of Programs at the Child Mind Institute. Dr. Anderson specializes in evaluating and treating children and adolescents with ADHD and behavior disorders, and he also has broad experience with anxiety and mood disorders. His expertise includes cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), behavioral parent training, school-based consultation and classroom behavioral support. Dr. Anderson is devoted to ensuring that patients receive innovative, cutting-edge care tailored to each family’s specific needs.
Dr. Anderson is passionate about outreach aimed at disseminating evidence-based interventions across diverse communities, ranging from elementary, middle and high schools to extracurricular programs and summer camps. He has taught workshops and gives frequent lectures for policymakers, parents, teachers and schools on topics such as behavior management at home or at school, ADHD treatment, sibling conflict, work-life balance, intervention for anxiety disorders and challenges in foster care and adoption.
Dr. Anderson is dedicated to work across a wide variety of settings where research-informed practice can be applied, consistent with his commitment to extending treatment gains far beyond the offices at the Child Mind Institute.
- Psychologist and Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) treatment team director, UCLA Training, Intervention, Education & Services (TIES) for Families, Mattel Children’s Hospital at UCLA
- Postdoctoral Fellow, UCLA TIES for Families
- Psychology Intern, The Help Group
- Psychology Extern, Institute for ADHD & Disruptive Behavior Disorders and Selective Mutism Program, NYU Child Study Center
- Psychology Extern, Jewish Board of Family and Children’s Services
- Research Data Associate, NYU Child Study Center
- PhD, Clinical Psychology, Columbia University
- BA, Psychological & Brain Sciences, Dartmouth College
Media & Public Outreach
- ABC7 Eyewitness News
- Yahoo! Parenting
- Scholastic Instructor
More from David Anderson
Ask an Expert
My 6-year-old son gets anger attacks and his mind and reasoning completely shut down. During a recent one I didn’t know if he was trying to hurt himself or me. What can I do?