David Friedlander, PsyD, is a clinical psychologist in the Mood Disorders Center at the Child Mind Institute. He specializes in providing evidence-based treatments for children, adolescents and young adults with mood disorders, co-occurring anxiety disorders, borderline personality disorder and school refusal. He has received specialized training in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and motivational interviewing (MI), and he has recently completed a Behavioral Tech Foundational Course in dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).
Dr. Friedlander has extensive experience in community mental health outpatient and school settings. He has worked with parents, teachers and other community supports to design behavior plans for use in the home and at school. These evidence-based plans frequently emphasized skill development and involved cognitive, behavioral and mindfulness-based strategies. During quarantine, Dr. Friedlander led weekly online mindfulness meditation sessions for members of his community. He has recently developed an interest in, and presented on, the intersection of technology use (particularly gaming) and mental health. His previous research focused primarily on the mental health needs of ethnic minorities, and he co-authored a chapter in the American Psychiatric Association’s Black Mental Health.
Dr. Friedlander strives to help people experience greater mindfulness and self-compassion in their daily endeavors. He is dedicated to enhancing the lives of children and families by providing them with empathic, evidenced-based care in pursuit of their treatment goals.
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, Therapy West and Academics West, New York, NY
- Intern, The Guidance Center, Leavenworth, KS
- Practicum Student (Extern), Hospital for Special Care, New Britain, CT
- Practicum Student (Extern), The Consultation Center at Yale, New Haven, CT
- Practicum Student (Extern), Eastern Connecticut State University’s Counseling and Psychological Services, Willimantic, CT
- PsyD, Clinical Psychology, Graduate Institute in Professional Psychology, University of Hartford
- MA, Clinical Psychology Practices, Graduate Institute in Professional Psychology, University of Hartford
- BA, Psychology, College of Arts and Sciences, Boston University