Robert Root, MD
Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
Child Mind Institute, San Francisco Bay Area
Audrey Ng, Staff AssociateAudrey.Ng@childmind.org
Robert Root, MD, is a child and adolescent psychiatrist at the Child Mind Institute. He has particular interest and expertise in the evaluation and treatment of anxiety disorders, mood disorders and ADHD in children and adolescents. Dr. Root is board certified in psychiatry and neurology and child and adolescent psychiatry.
Dr. Root earned a bachelor’s degree in English literature at Brown University and then his medical degree from the Yale University School of Medicine. He completed his medical internship and psychiatry residency at The New York Hospital—Cornell Medical Center. He then completed a fellowship in child and adolescent psychiatry at the Children’s Hospital in Seattle. He has been the medical director of the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry program and a member of the faculty at the California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco since 2001. Dr. Root is also an associate clinical professor of psychiatry at the Dartmouth Medical School.
Dr. Root is a member of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the International Association of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. He is honored to be the recipient of a Top Doctor award featured in San Francisco Magazine for 2014-2019. He has published a book of photography entitled Image in Mind: The Psychiatrist as Photographer: Perspectives on Culture, Landscape and the Photographic Relationship.
- Medical Director of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, California Pacific Medical Center
- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School
- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, UCSF Medical School
- Medical Internship, NY Hospital, Cornell Medical Center
- Psychiatry Residency, NY Hospital, Cornell Medical Center
- Child Psychiatry Fellowship, Children’s Hospital, Seattle
- MD, Yale University School of Medicine
- BA, Brown University, English Literature
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in Psychiatry
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry