Sarper Taskiran, MD, is a Board-certified senior child and adolescent psychiatrist at the Child Mind Institute with extensive experience diagnosing and treating the full range of psychiatric disorders. He has particular experience in treating obsessive-compulsive disorder, disruptive behavior disorders, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and mood disorders in children and adolescents.
Dr. Taskiran has a holistic approach when dealing with the complex and challenging mental health disorders of children. He utilizes evidence–based psychotherapy techniques such as cognitive behavioral therapy for children and mindfulness and mentalization based approaches for adolescents, as well as psychopharmacological treatments. Dr. Taskiran also has extensive experience with college mental health problems.
Dr. Taskiran has been involved in research investigating face-emotion recognition in children with severe mood dysregulation, as well as emotional and social predictors of functioning in people with attentional disorders. His research experience has given him a deeper understanding of the issues of children with disruptive behavior disorders in home and school environments. He is also interested in adjustment problems, especially in cross–cultural settings.
Dr. Taskiran has had the opportunity to teach and mentor child and adolescent psychiatry fellows, psychiatry residents and medical students. He helped establish the child and adolescent psychiatry department and educational curriculum of Koc University School of Medicine, and still serves there as an assistant professor of psychiatry, where he is involved in medical student teaching and research.
- Assistant Professor of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Koc University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
- Director of Mental Health and Counseling Services, Koc University
- Attending Psychiatrist, American Hospital in Istanbul
- Fellow, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, NYU Child Study Center
- Resident, General Psychiatry, Yale University
- Intern, Psychiatry, Yale University
- MD, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
- National Board of Medicine
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology