Stephanie Dowd, PsyD
Clinical Psychologist, Mood Disorders Center
Child Mind Institute
Gabrielle Gottschall, Staff AssociateGabby.Gottschall@childmind.org
Stephanie Dowd, PsyD, is a clinical psychologist in the Mood Disorders Center at the Child Mind Institute. Dr. Dowd is extensively trained in evidence-based treatments, including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), interpersonal psychotherapy, exposure with response prevention and parent management training.
She has provided therapy to children and adolescents living with depression, bipolar disorder, emotional dysregulation, self-injury, suicidality, generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety, specific phobias, OCD and eating disorders. She has also worked with children and adolescents in hospital inpatient and outpatient settings, family shelter settings and schools.
Before her doctoral training, Dr. Dowd served as research coordinator of a study that researched precursors to depression and ADHD in children. Her work has been published in Psychiatry Research, and she has presented at national conferences and community health centers on topics such as DBT, mindfulness and family therapy.
Dr. Dowd is committed to empowering children and adolescents with tools to help them effectively navigate challenges, and empowering parents with knowledge to help them understand and connect more effectively with their children.
- Adjunct Clinical Supervisor for doctoral students, Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology, Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY
- Assistant Director and Psychologist, Family Health and Wellness Services, an outpatient program providing DBT to adolescents, young adults and families, Summit, NJ
- Clinical Research Coordinator in Pediatric Psychopharmacology at Massachusetts General Hospital, Cambridge, MA
- Pre-doctoral Psychology Intern in Child Clinical Psychology, Columbia University Medical Center of New York Presbyterian Hospital
- Psychology Extern, Bronx Children’s Psychiatric Center
- Psychology Extern, New Rochelle School District, New Rochelle, NY
Media & Public Outreach
- Yahoo! Parenting
- Teen Vogue
- PsyD, Clinical and School Psychology, Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology, Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY
- MS, School Psychology, Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology, Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY
- MA, Counseling Psychology, University of San Francisco
- BA, Psychology, College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA
More from Stephanie Dowd
Ask an Expert
My daughter has been treated for depression, but it doesn’t seem to be working. What can we do?
Ask an Expert
My anxious son is 16, home-schooled, and prefers ‘cyber friends’ to real ones. We want him back in school, but can he cope?