Stephanie Samar, PsyD
Clinical Psychologist, Mood Disorders Center
Child Mind Institute
Emily Morse, Staff AssociateEmily.Morse@childmind.org
Stephanie Samar, PsyD, is a clinical psychologist in the Mood Disorders Center at the Child Mind Institute. She specializes in providing empirically supported assessment and interventions for children, preadolescents, adolescents, and young adults with high-risk, externalizing behaviors and internalizing mood disorders, including bipolar disorder. She is trained in providing interventions such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) for a range of mood related symptoms. In addition, Dr. Samar has created and spearheaded an adaptation of DBT for children and preadolescents with significant mood and behavioral dysregulation.
Dr. Samar has experience in both outpatient and school settings. She has received extensive training in a variety of evidence-based treatments including CBT, DBT, DBT for Children (DBT-C), parent-child interaction therapy (PCIT), mindfulness, parent management training (PMT), and motivational interviewing (MI). Her research interests include how non-cognitive factors, including grit, impact academic and lifelong success. She has co-authored scholarly articles for several peer-reviewed journals, including the Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, and co-authored a chapter on reading disorders published in the Handbook of Australian School Psychology.
Dr. Samar is dedicated to providing strength-based support that serves to empower clients and their families.
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Institute for Girls’ Development, Pasadena, CA
- Intern, Pleasantville Union Free School District, Pleasantville, NY
- Extern, Learning and Development Center, Child Mind Institute
- Extern, New Hyde Park-Garden City Park Union Free School District, New Hyde Park, NY
- PsyD, School Psychology, St. John’s University
- MS, School Psychology, St. John’s University
- MA, Psychology, New York University
- BA, Psychology, Loyola University Maryland