Susan J. Schwartz, MAEd
Child Mind Institute
Alex Silverman, Staff AssociateAlex.Silverman@childmind.org
Susan J. Schwartz, MAEd, is a learning specialist at the Child Mind Institute. She is an expert in child development, reading and literacy, learning disorders, and the development of language skills and higher-level reasoning skills in children and adolescents.
She has been on the forefront of interdisciplinary approaches to evaluating and treating children and young adults with reading, writing, math and organizational difficulties. Ms. Schwartz has taught cognitive and language development as well as neuropsychology and advocacy to psychiatry trainees, and supervised psychology interns and postdoctoral neuropsychology fellows. She has worked as a classroom teacher and project coordinator in various public schools, teaching Pre-K and kindergarten children with special needs, and as a learning specialist at independent schools.
A seasoned lecturer, Ms. Schwartz has presented at conferences nationwide on a wide range of topics, including attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), executive functioning and writing skills in the classroom, learning differences versus learning disorders, understanding autism spectrum disorders, the myths and realities of standardized tests, and demystifying neuropsychological and educational reports.
- Lower School learning specialist, Friends Seminary
- Clinical Director, Learning and Diagnostic Center, Child Mind Institute
- Clinical Director, Institute for Learning and Academic Achievement, NYU Child Study Center
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, NYU School of Medicine
- Consultant teacher and Remedial Specialist, The Dalton School and Ethical Culture Fieldston School
- Senior Learning Diagnostic Specialist, Schneider Children’s Hospital, Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Project Coordinator and classroom teacher for Pre-K and kindergarten children with special needs, various public schools
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, NYU School of Medicine
- BA, Psychology, SUNY Binghamton
- MAEd, Early Childhood and Special Education, George Washington University
Media & Public Outreach
- The Parent Letter
- Sirius Satellite Show
- Today Show
- The Early Show