William Benson, PsyD
William W. Benson, PsyD, is a psychologist in the ADHD and Behavior Disorders Center. Dr. Benson has extensive training and experience in evidence-based and cutting-edge assessment and treatment methods for children, adolescents, and adults. Additional subspecialities include ADHD, disruptive behavior disorders, tic disorders and Tourette’s syndrome, trichotillomania and other body-focused repetitive disorders, OCD, and anxiety. He has experience working in a wide variety of settings, including outpatient, emergency department, inpatient, medical, and community mental health settings.
Dr. Benson takes a case formulation approach to evidence-based treatments. This involves taking the key components of treatments that have been validated in scientific studies and adapting the therapy to the individual characteristics of his clients, because each child (and adult) is unique and deserves both the best proven treatments and a personalized approach.
Dr. Benson also has extensive experience working with parents and schools to ensure that learning environments are structured to set children up for success. He believes strongly that effective mental health treatment for children and adolescents requires a team approach, with therapist, parents (and other caregivers), school, and child working together.
- Mental Health Program Director, Montefiore School Health Program, Bronx, NY
- Staff Psychologist, CBT/DBT Associates, New York, NY
- Clinical Instructor of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, NYU Langone Medical Center, New York, NY
- Clinical Instructor of Pediatrics, The Ohio State University Medical School, Columbus, OH
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Clinical Psychology, Child Study Center, NYU Langone, New York, NY
- Psychology Intern, Child Clinical Track, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, OH
- Extern, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY
- Extern, Child Study Center, NYU Langone, New York, NY
- Student Clinician, Tourette Syndrome Therapeutic Program, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- Practicum Student and Behavioral Consultant, New Brunswick Public Schools, New Brunswick, NJ
- PsyD, Clinical Psychology, Rutgers University
- PsyM, Clinical Psychology, Rutgers University
- BS, Tulane University
Ready to Get Started?
Request an Appointment
Please complete the form below or call us at 877.203.3452 to request an appointment with one of our expert clinicians. A member of our intake team will follow up with you.