Matthew M. Cruger, PhD
Clinical Neuropsychologist, Senior Director, Learning and Development Center
Child Mind Institute
Allegra Gold, Staff AssociateAllegra.Gold@childmind.org
Matthew M. Cruger, PhD, a clinical neuropsychologist, is senior director of the Learning and Development Center at the Child Mind Institute. He specializes in neuropsychological examinations, cognitive assessments and other evaluations for gifted children as well as those with learning difficulties, autism spectrum disorders and ADHD. A strong advocate for children and teens with special education needs, Dr. Cruger uses empirically supported treatments to improve both his patients’ emotional functioning and their academic achievement.
Before coming to the Child Mind Institute, Dr. Cruger spearheaded a program to help teens with learning difficulties transition to college and helped develop an evidence-based treatment for improving children’s organizational skills. He has taught undergraduate and graduate courses in diagnostic assessment, social psychology, personality theory, research methods, pathological conditions of the brain, and child and adolescent brain development.
Dr. Cruger has performed psychoeducational evaluations in clinical settings throughout New York, including through the Prep for Prep program. He has also led psychoeducational workshops for couples wishing to enhance their communication skills and improve the quality of their marriages.
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, NYU Child Study Center
- Adjunct Professor, NYU, Adelphi University, Long Island University
- Assistant Psychologist, Rusk Institute for Rehabilitation Medicine, NYU Langone Medical Center
- Director, Prevention and Relationship Enhancement Program (PREP), NYU Child Study Center
- Child Welfare Case Manager and Mental Health Counselor, Chicago-area hospitals
- Assistant Psychologist, Traumatic Brain Injury Unit, Saint Mary’s Hospital for Children, Bayside, NY
- Neuropsychology Fellow, Institute for Learning and Academic Achievement, NYU Child Study Center
- Psychology Intern, VA NY Harbor Healthcare System, Manhattan
- Therapy and Diagnostic Extern, William Alanson White Institute, Manhattan
- Psychology Extern, VA NY Harbor Healthcare System, Brooklyn
- PhD, Clinical Psychology, Adelphi University
- MA, Clinical Psychology, Illinois School of Professional Psychology
- BA, Psychology and English, University of Michigan
More from Matthew M. Cruger
Ask an Expert
What type of OT is beneficial for an approaching teenager diagnosed with nonverbal learning disorder?
Ask an Expert
My daughter’s school would like her to repeat second grade. When is it good to keep a child back, if ever?
Ask an Expert
My 7-year-old son with dyslexia is easily frustrated or angered by things outside of school. Is that common?