Victor Pereira-Sanchez, MD, PhD
Victor Pereira-Sanchez, MD, PhD, is the Director of Global Fellowships at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Global Center for Child and Adolescent Mental Health at the Child Mind Institute. His role includes the creation and implementation of an innovative leadership program for delivering solutions at scale and increasing capacity to treat and study child and adolescent mental disorders through fellowships for researchers, psychiatrists, and communicators, with particular focus on low- and middle-income countries.
Dr. Pereira-Sanchez is a child, adolescent, and adult psychiatrist trained in Spain and New York with research, teaching, networking, and leadership experience in international psychiatry and global mental health. His work has focused on developing innovative ways to deliver and access mental health services and providing education to professionals, stakeholders, and the public. He is experienced in promoting multidisciplinary and international collaborations as well as professional development for mental health trainees at local, national, and international levels. His past research focused on the neuroimaging of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), an area where he remains a frequently cited and consulted expert.
Dr. Pereira-Sanchez has held faculty positions at New York University and Amoud University (Borama, Somaliland), where he has taught undergraduate, medical, and public health students. He is an active member and leader in several national and international professional organizations, including the World Network of Psychiatric Trainees (WNPT) and the Global Mental Health Think Tank network, which he founded and directs.
He has been recipient of several awards and distinctions, including early career awards from the World Psychiatric Association, the European Psychiatric Association, and the Japanese Society of Psychiatry and Neurology, being listed as a distinguished researcher by the Spanish Society of Psychiatry and Mental Health, and high commendations from the Association of Child and Adolescent Mental Health (ACAMH).
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, New York University (NYU) Grossman School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
- Visiting Professor of Psychiatry and Public Health, Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, and School of Public Health, Amoud University, Borama, Somaliland
- Instructor, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Studies, New York University (NYU) College of Arts & Sciences, New York, NY, USA
- MD, Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
- PhD in Applied Medicine and Biomedicine, Area of Neurosciences, Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
- Master’s in Integration and Resolution of Clinical Problems in Medicine, Universidad de Alcalá, Alcalá de Henares, Spain
- Fundación Alicia Koplowitz Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Global Child and Adolescent Mental Health Education, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, New York University Grossman School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
- Fundación Alicia Koplowitz Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Child and Adolescent Global Mental Health and Implementation Science, Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, and Division of Translational Epidemiology and Mental Health Equity of New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY, USA
- Fundación Alicia Koplowitz Fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, New York University Grossman School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
- International Doctoral Research Internship, Center for the Developing Brain, Child Mind Institute, New York, NY, USA