Children with anxiety disorders are overwhelmed by feelings of intense fear or worry that they are out of proportion to the situation or thing that triggers them. These emotional fears can be focused on separating from parents, physical illness, performing poorly, or embarrassing themselves. Or they can be attached to specific things, like dogs or insects or bridges.
“Reality wasn’t really important to me. I knew it wasn’t real but at the same time I didn’t.”
How Ben Beat the Bully in His Brain
“Something went off in my head. I ran out. I wasn’t breathing. I didn’t know why it was happening.”
How Jackie Got Her Life Back
More on Anxiety Disorders
- More Topics
- What Are the Different Kinds of Anxiety?
- How to Change Negative Thinking Patterns
- Agoraphobia in Children
- Panic Attacks and How to Treat Them
- Tips for Calming Anxious Kids
- Back to School Anxiety
- Intensive Treatment for OCD and Anxiety
- How to Help Kids Deal With Embarrassment
- Tips for Managing Social Anxiety
- Behavioral Treatment for Kids With Anxiety
- Tips for Beating Test Anxiety
- How Anxiety Leads to Disruptive Behavior
- Why Do Kids Have Tantrums and Meltdowns?
- Quick Facts on Illness Anxiety Disorder
- How to Avoid Passing Anxiety on to Your Kids
- When to Worry About an Anxious Child
- Quick Facts on Somatic Symptom Disorder
- How to Help Kids Worried About ‘Bad Thoughts’
- Why Childhood Anxiety Often Goes Undetected (and the Consequences)
- What Is Separation Anxiety?
- Anxiety in the Classroom
- Best Medications for Kids With Anxiety
- When Anxious Children Become Anxious Adolescents
- What to Do (and Not Do) When Children Are Anxious
- Quick Facts on Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Quick Facts on Panic Disorder
- Quick Facts on Separation Anxiety
- Quick Facts on Specific Phobia
- Fear of Vomiting
- Mood Disorders and Teenage Girls
- Keeping Anxious Kids From Becoming Anxious Adults
- Fear of Vomiting and Exposure Therapy
- Jennifer Lawrence Acts Away Social Anxiety
- Victoria Azarenka: Panic Attacks and Armchair Diagnoses
- Fearless Friends and Canine Companions
- Emma Stone Controls Panic by Baking
Parents Guide to SM
Generalized Anxiety Disorder Basics
Acute Stress Disorder
Specific Phobia Basics
Social Communication Disorder Basics
Somatic Symptom Disorder Basics
Social Anxiety Disorder Basics
Separation Anxiety Disorder Basics
Selective Mutism (SM) Basics
Panic Disorder Basics
Hoarding Disorder Basics
Ask an ExpertAll Ask an Expert
- What is the best high school school environment for a student with generalized anxiety disorder and social anxiety?
- My son, who has been taking Prozac for selective mutism, is now completely verbal in school. When can we start taking him off it?
- My son has made great progress in day treatment and is ready to return to a regular school. How can we get the school to work with him if he still has occasional outbursts?
- My daughter’s school would like her to repeat second grade. When is it good to keep a child back, if ever?
- My daughter with anxiety issues is worried about getting her period. What can I do?
- My 16-year-old son vomits before every basketball game. Could this be generalized anxiety disorder?
- My 11-year-old son has started having crushes on teachers and moms of friends. He has an obsessive personality and finds this all very embarrassing. What can I do?
- My 10-year-old daughter with anxiety won’t participate in gym. Should we push her?
- My son, who struggles with anxiety and ADHD, has poor self-esteem and trouble fitting in socially. I’ve seen kids being very mean to him.
- Could an ear infection be causing my son’s anxiety?
- Can a fear of vomiting actually cause someone to vomit?
- A kindergarten student with SM refuses to use the bathroom at school. Do you have any suggestions?