Autism Center: Clinical Care
The Autism Center at the Child Mind Institute is an integrated clinical center and research lab dedicated to supporting toddlers, children, adolescents and young adults with autism spectrum disorder and related challenges, including social (pragmatic) communication disorder and non-verbal learning disorder (NVLD).
The Autism Center: Clinical Care specializes in diagnosing children, adolescents and young adults who struggle with this broad range of challenges. For children with ASD and related disorders, we provide effective, evidence-based treatment in their homes, schools and in our office to ensure comprehensive support and care.
Conditions we treat include
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Social (Pragmatic) Communication Disorder
- Non-Verbal Learning Disorder (NVLD)
- Conditions once called Asperger’s Syndrome and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)
We focus on identifying and understanding your child’s symptoms and unique challenges. We carefully consider which treatment options may be of the most help. Our services are indicated for children who struggle with:
- Making friends and maintaining friendships
- Understanding the perspective of someone else
- Being flexible and open-minded
- Managing big and complex emotions
- Tolerating changes to preferred routines and preferences
- Independently completing routines (morning and evening)
When medication may be helpful, we work with our team of board-certified child and adolescent psychiatrists or collaborate with your physician. Our psychiatrists offer expert consultation on whether medication can improve treatment outcomes and provide ongoing medication management when requested.
Services we provide
- Diagnostic Evaluations
- Behavior Therapy Service
- Home and Community Services
- Speech and Language Therapy
Children with autism spectrum disorder sometimes require support from a variety of professionals. We can help connect families to additional services in the community, including early intervention, vocational services, support groups, occupational therapy, and other providers. Our Service Navigator has specialized knowledge of the options and opportunities within the New York City metropolitan area.