These disorders are grouped together because they include preoccupations — fears, perceived needs or flaws — and repetitive, obsessive behaviors. Some children have insight into the fact that their obsessive and compulsive beliefs are not realistic, and some are convinced that they are true.
"It feels amazing to see someone who’s really struggling become the person they used to be. "
Why Jerry Uses Humor with His OCD Patients
'One of the most challenging things about OCD is that it loves uncertainty and fear.'
How Matt’s Loss Made Him Stronger
“Reality wasn’t really important to me. I knew it wasn’t real but at the same time I didn’t.”
How Ben Beat the Bully in His Brain
“Neuroscience — it’s going to be accelerated from places like the Child Mind Institute.”
Patrick Kennedy on Advancing Brain Science
More on OCD: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders
- More Topics
- What Is Excoriation, or Skin-Picking?
- When OCD Triggers Suicidal Thoughts
- What Is Trichotillomania?
- Hoarding in Children
- Understanding Religious OCD
- What Is Body Dysmorphic Disorder?
- Sexual Obsessions and OCD
- Intensive Treatment for OCD and Anxiety
- What Is the Best Treatment for Anxiety?
- Quick Facts on Illness Anxiety Disorder
- How to Help Kids Worried About ‘Bad Thoughts’
- Picky Eating: What’s Normal and What’s Not
- Why Behavioral Therapy Is the Best Way to Treat OCD in Kids
- Treating Kids With OCD and Tourette’s
- Quick Facts on Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Quick Facts on Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- Quick Facts on Hoarding
- Quick Facts on Trichotillomania (Hair-Pulling)
- Quick Facts on Excoriation (Skin-Picking)
- Quick Facts on PANDAS and PANS
- OCD: It’s Like a Bully in Your Brain
- OCD and Internal Compulsions
- The Pain of Hiding OCD
- PANDAS and PANS: About Acute-Onset OCD
- Fear of Vomiting
- What Is the Best Treatment for OCD?
- Interview With an OCD Specialist: How Does Treatment Work?
- The Parents’ Role in OCD Treatment
- What Does OCD Look Like in the Classroom?
- A 13-Year-Old Learns to Fight OCD
- One Family’s Experience With PANDAS
- What Teachers Should Know About OCD
- How Teachers Can Help Kids With OCD
- A Much-Needed Consensus on PANS, or Acute-Onset OCD
- Ask Lena Dunham About OCD
- Will Forte on How OCD Helped Him Get to ‘Nebraska’
- Kicking OCD’s Butt at the International OCD Foundation Conference
- Lena Dunham Brings Her OCD Experience to ‘Girls’
Ask an ExpertAll Ask an Expert
- My daughter with ADHD can’t keep friends. What can we do?
- My 9-year-old son is constantly confessing thoughts, or things he has done, that he thinks are bad. How can we help him?
- My 15-year-old daughter has been treated for OCD but still has a lot of symptoms. Would in-home sessions help her?
- My 11-year-old son is constantly plagued by sexual thoughts he can’t control. How do we help this boy?
- I’m afraid my 15-year-old daughter is a hoarder because she hides food around her room. What do you think?
- My teen has ADHD and ODD. He refuses therapy. How can I help my son help himself?
- My son, who struggles with anxiety and ADHD, has poor self-esteem and trouble fitting in socially. I’ve seen kids being very mean to him.
- My daughter worries constantly about thoughts, and things she has done, that she thinks are “bad.” What can I do to help?
- Is my 15-year-old daughter a hoarder?
- If a boy of 6 years old doesn’t want to touch the floor when he walks, could it be OCD?