Schizophrenia is a disorder characterized by distorted perceptions of reality. These distortions include hallucinations and delusions, as well as what’s called “disorganized” thinking and speech, which means that thoughts are disconnected, and answers might be unrelated to questions. Schizophrenia is rare in childhood. Onset is usually late adolescence or early adulthood.
More on Schizophrenia and Psychosis
- More Topics
- Marijuana and Psychosis
- How Does CBT Help People With Psychosis?
- Early Treatment for Schizophrenia Improves Outcomes
- The Schizophrenia Gene: Brain Development and Disorder Tightly Linked
- Childhood Schizophrenia: What Are the First Signs?
- Watching for Signs of Psychosis in Teens
- Fighting Schizophrenia