Behavioral and Emotional Skills Training
Adults caring for children often have questions about how to set clear expectations and manage behavior effectively. Especially when children exhibit challenging behaviors, adults want to know exactly how to address these situations with strategies that promote positive behavior, good social-emotional development and increased self-esteem.
The Child Mind Institute’s BEST Program (Behavioral and Emotional Skills Training) provides this preparation for parents and caregivers. Informed by the most up-to-date research, clinicians provide caregivers with a structured and interactive training experience aimed at the teaching and immediate application of practical techniques for effective behavior management.
Training Objectives for BEST
- Understand the basics of behavior management
- Learn and apply skills consistently and effectively
- Increase confidence in managing challenging behaviors
- Develop a behaviorally-minded network of other caregivers for continued support following training completion
BEST Topics Covered
- Setting routines and clear behavioral expectations
- Positive reinforcement
- Redirection of minor misbehavior and active ignoring
- Giving good directions
- Effectively shaping behavioral goals and setting up individualized behavior plans
- Reprimands, loss of privileges and time-outs
- Avoiding common pitfalls like yelling and escalating threats
- How to take care of yourself while taking care of others
- Planning to implement these strategies at home
To provide families with support during the COVID-19 crisis, we are bringing BEST online by providing families with pre-recorded webinars plus a live parent consultation with Amanda R. Templeman, PhD.
Who should attend
Parents, grandparents, babysitters, nannies, au pairs or other caregivers are invited to participate in BEST.
- Full BEST Webinar Series (5 hours) including live parent consultation on Friday, May 14, 12:30 – 2:00pm EST: $225
- BEST Webinar Series (5 hours) without parent consultation: $150
If a participant cannot attend a session after registering for it, a refund will be given provided the cancellation is made 30 days prior to the date of the program. If less than 30 days’ notice is provided, we will not be able to extend a refund.
Please reach out with any questions to Lillian Hertzberg at 646.863.5408 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.