Behavioral and Emotional Skills Training
Adults caring for children often have questions about how to set clear expectations and manage behavior effectively. Especially when children exhibit challenging behaviors, adults want to know exactly how to address these situations with strategies that promote positive behavior, good social-emotional development and increased self-esteem.
The Child Mind Institute’s BEST Program (Behavioral and Emotional Skills Training) provides this preparation for parents, nannies and caregivers. Informed by the most up-to-date research, clinicians provide caregivers with a structured and interactive training experience aimed at the teaching and immediate application of practical techniques for effective behavior management.
Training Objectives for BEST
- Understand the basics of behavior management
- Learn and apply skills consistently and effectively
- Increase confidence in managing challenging behaviors
- Develop a behaviorally-minded network of other caregivers for continued support following training completion
BEST Program Schedule
9:00am – 12:00pm: Introductions & Foundations of Positive Behavior Support
- Setting routines and clear behavioral expectations
- Positive reinforcement
- Redirection of minor misbehavior and active ignoring
- Giving good directions
12:00pm – 12:30pm: Lunch on your own
12:30pm – 3:30pm: Individualized Behavior Plans & Consequences for Misbehavior
- Effectively shaping behavioral goals and setting up individualized behavior plans
- Reprimands, loss of privileges, and time-outs
- Avoiding common pitfalls like yelling and escalating threats
3:30pm – 4:00pm: Self Care and Review of Skills
- How to take care of yourself while taking care of others
- Planning to implement these strategies at home
Sessions are from 9:00am to 4:00pm with 30 minutes for lunch. Participants are invited to bring lunch or they can choose from a number of options near our office. We are accepting registration for the following dates:
Child Mind Institute
101 East 56th Street
New York, NY 10022
Parents, grandparents, babysitters, nannies, au pairs or other caregivers are invited to participate in BEST.
The cost to attend BEST is $600 for up to two individuals per family. Additional individuals can attend for $100 per person. Payment must be received in full to reserve space in the program.
If a participant cannot attend a session after registering for it, a refund will be given provided the cancellation is made 30 days prior to the date of the program. If less than 30 days notice is provided, we will not be able to extend a refund.