Behavioral and Emotional Skills Training
Adults caring for children often have questions about how to set clear expectations and manage behavior effectively. Especially when children exhibit challenging behaviors, adults want to know exactly how to address these situations with strategies that promote positive behavior, good social-emotional development and increased self-esteem. The Child Mind Institute’s BEST program (Behavioral and Emotional Skills Training for parents, nannies and caregivers) provides just this sort of preparation. Informed by the most up-to-date research, clinicians provide caregivers with a structured training experience aimed at the teaching and immediate application of practical techniques for effective behavior management.
Training Objectives for Caregivers
- Understand the basics of behavior management
- Learn and apply skills consistently and effectively
- Increase confidence in managing challenging behaviors
- Develop a behaviorally-minded network of other caregivers for continued support following training completion
9:00-9:30: Introductions and Training Orientation
9:30-11:30: Foundations of Positive Behavior Support
- Positive reinforcement and giving good directions
- Setting behavioral goals and effectively shaping progress
- Redirection of minor misbehavior and active ignoring
11:30-12:30: Skills Practice and Role-plays
12:30-1:00: Lunch on your own
1:00-3:00: Consequences for Misbehavior
- Reprimands, loss of privileges, and time-outs
- Avoiding common pitfalls like yelling and escalating threats
3:00-4:00: Review of Skills and Planning for Generalization
- Discussion with case examples
- How to take care of yourself while taking care of others
Sessions are from 9:00am to 4:00pm with 30 minutes for lunch. Participants are invited to bring lunch or they can choose from a number of options near our office. We are accepting registration for the following dates:
Child Mind Institute, 445 Park Avenue (private entrance on East 56th Street), New York, NY 10022
Parents, grandparents, babysitters, nannies, au pairs or other caregivers are invited to participate in BEST.
The cost to attend BEST is $600 for up to two individuals per family. Additional individuals can attend for $100 per person. Payment must be received in full to reserve space in the program.
If a participant cannot attend a session after registering for it, a refund will be given provided the cancellation is made 30 days prior to the date of the program. If less than 30 days notice is provided, we will not be able to extend a refund.
How to Enroll
Please contact Sara Wolcott at firstname.lastname@example.org to enroll and submit payment.