College Readiness Program
The College Readiness Program, offered through the Mood Disorders Center, is for students who are entering or enrolled in college and need help managing new social and emotional challenges. Strengthening emotion regulation and problem-solving skills can help students handle stress and make effective decisions for a positive college experience.
This program is appropriate for those who need support:
- Managing the stressors and emotions that emerge during college
- Managing interpersonal relationships
- Completing assignments
- Developing effective time management skills
- Managing distractions such as screen time and substance use
Participants in this program will learn and practice skills related to distress tolerance, emotion regulation and interpersonal effectiveness with respect to dorm life, coursework, relationships, self-care and time management. Skills are taught by a team of expert psychologists in a supportive group setting with same-aged peers. Participants receive live coaching and feedback from group leaders. Families of participants will also learn strategies to help support their teens and young adults through this transition. A parent session is offered on Tuesday, August 4, from 5:00 – 7:00pm.
Covered topics include, but are not limited to:
- Managing difficult relationships and roommates
- Substance, drug and alcohol use
- Effective communication with parents
- Handling social rejection
- What to do when faced with a problem
- Screen time and social media
- Balanced sleep and healthy eating
- Asking for help
- Balancing work and fun
- Handling situations you cannot control
- How to prepare in advance for stressors like deadlines and exams
- How to appropriately assert yourself
This program is currently scheduled to run virtually to comply with New York State’s COVID-19 regulations.
- Date: Monday, August 3 – Friday, August 7
- Time: 11:30am – 3:00pm EDT / 8:30am – 12:00pm PDT
- Cost: $2,250
- Location: Zoom platform
- Eligibility: To ensure an appropriate fit, a clinician in the program will conduct a brief screener. Contact Andrew Floersheimer (email@example.com) or Ruby Paisner (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
“My son holds onto his folder from the young adult summer program at all times. He’s mindful and has been practicing all the tools he’s learned. Life Changer – can’t thank you enough.”
At the time of registration full payment is required to reserve a space. If a young adult cannot attend and we are notified at least 30 days prior to the start date of the program we will issue a refund, excluding a $300 non-refundable deposit for administrative fees. If less than 30 days notification is given, no refund will be provided.