College Success Program
Students who have been identified as having a learning disorder, ADHD, or anxiety may not be completely ready to handle the demands of college. Even though many colleges offer learning support resources, some students may lack the self-advocacy or executive functioning skills to effectively avail themselves of these services. Through our College Success Coaching Program, we position these students for success with strong self-advocacy and problem-solving skills.
We offer coaching and support to adolescents and young adults who are either about to go to college for the first time or had some difficulty during an initial college experience. The program includes:
- One 4-hour workshop for students
- One 90-minute parent workshop
The goal of the College Success Program is to help students organize their time, manage their workload, make effective decisions and solve problems as they arise. Students participating in this program will benefit from lessons and support from trained executive functioning coaches who are passionate about helping their students.
Prior to the start of each semester, students and their families are also invited to attend a workshop to receive guidelines and tips to maximize college success.
Summer Workshop for Students
This workshop will provide participants with organization strategies, study skills, self-advocacy guidance, and problem-solving tools. Students will meet their coaches and receive guidance specific to the college or university they will attend, including review of course syllabi and campus supports. Students will receive customized plans and tips to take to school with them. Topics will include:
- Setting up an efficient studying and organizational system (for the dorm room and library)
- Managing class schedules, study schedules, and key dates
- Advocating for oneself with professors, the learning center, and the accessibility office
- Establishing productive relationships with peers and faculty members
- Planning ahead and preparing for long-term assignments, projects, exams
- Battling procrastination and issues with motivation
- Balancing work and play
- Anticipating, addressing, and bouncing back from roadblocks (e.g., issues with course selection, social pressure, time allocation, performance on assignments)
- When: Friday, August 13, 2021 10:00am-2:00pm EST
- Where: Child Mind Institute, 101 East 56th Street, New York, NY 10022
Summer Workshop for Parents
This evening workshop for College Success parents will include a discussion about how to nurture student independence and resiliency, how best to monitor student performance and well-being, and how parents can best handle roadblocks and setbacks.
- Monday August 16, 2021 5:00-6:30pm EST (will be held virtually)
On-going College Coaching
Students enrolled in the program will benefit from ongoing coaching throughout the semester to support the development and implementation of organizational strategies, effective study skills and problem-solving once they are away at college. Communicating weekly for 45 minutes via Skype (or FaceTime), students and their Child Mind Institute coaches will review coursework, troubleshoot any challenges and maintain strong skills. Coaches help students maintain and enhance their organization, self-advocacy, and problem-solving skills each semester. Coaching sessions will focus on:
- Organization strategies and study skills for successful independence and academic performance
- Planning ahead for assignments in the upcoming weeks and months
- Self-advocacy for learning support and knowledge of strengths and weaknesses
- Problem-solving for any academic or social difficulties that might arise
- Weekly 60-minute sessions (via Skype, FaceTime or in person) to review coursework concerns, coordinate shared calendars, troubleshoot any problems and help students to maintain strong organizational, self-advocacy, problem-solving and self-awareness skills.
- Weekly 15-minute check-ins, to monitor plans or troubleshoot any problems. Coaches will give their students feedback about how they are making progress with the use of these skills, and will also provide constructive ways for improving these skills.
- Additional sessions as needed or requested, for an additional cost.
Coaching is weekly via Skype or FaceTime and scheduled with students based on their availability
- $4,000 per semester for the College Coaching Program, Includes weekly coaching and both workshops
- $750 for the student and parent workshops only
How to Apply
Enrollment is on a first-registered, first-served basis. To apply, please reach out to Lillian Hertzberg, Lillian.email@example.com, 646.863.5408.
Full payment is required at the time of registration to reserve your spot. If a child cannot attend, and we are notified at least 30 days prior to the start date of the program, we will issue a refund, minus a $300 non-refundable deposit for administrative fees. If less than 30 days notification is given, no refund will be provided.