Social Anxiety Groups
Young people who struggle with social anxiety experience intense discomfort in social settings. To ease their anxiety they often begin avoiding social situations, which unfortunately makes their anxiety worse. While individual treatment teaches children and adolescents strategies for how to tolerate social situations without avoiding them, there is growing evidence that practicing and refining these skills is more effective when done in group formats.
Social Anxiety Groups for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults
Social Anxiety Groups at the Child Mind Institute teach children, adolescents, and young adults coping skills to help them manage their anxiety as they practice facing their social fears in a group setting. Groups are designed to help participants develop skills and confidence in a supportive environment through exposures.
Our Social Anxiety Groups are appropriate for those who:
- Feel scared or uncomfortable in social situations
- Are afraid of embarrassing themselves in social situations
- Avoid going to places or doing activities that involve socializing
We meet individually with each participant prior to the start of the group to determine if he or she is the right fit and to identify specific areas of concern. In addition to group-focused activities, we are able to provide individualized interventions tailored to the specific needs of each child. For example, if your child struggles to place an order over the phone, one of our therapists may work with him individually until he is able to call and order pizza for the group. Areas that we have targeted in the past include the following:
- Participating in class
- Asking for help
- Working or playing in a group
- Starting or joining in on a conversation
- Going to meetings
- Answering or talking on the telephone
- Inviting a friend to get together
- Attending a party
- Ordering at a restaurant
- Giving a presentation
- Debating an issue
We offer two school-year groups: one for children ages 9 through 13 and one for adolescents ages 13 through 18. We also offer a group that is tailored to young adults ranging from ages 18 to 25.
Spring 10-Week Program for Children and Adolescents
- Date: Thursdays, April 4 – June 6, 2019
- Time: 5:00 – 6:30pm
- Includes parent session held via webinar at the halfway point of the group
- Cost: $1,900
Spring 8-Week Program for Young Adults
- Date: Thursdays, April 11 – May 30, 2019
- Time: 5:45 – 7:15pm
- Cost: $1,500
Summer 5-Day Program for Children and Adolescents
- Date: Monday, August 19th – Friday, August 23rd, 2019
- Time: 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Cost: $2,500
- Where: Child Mind Institute, 101 East 56th Street, New York, NY 10022
- Eligibility: Children, adolescents and young adults who need help overcoming social anxiety. To ensure an appropriate fit, we will conduct a one-hour assessment billed at the clinician’s hourly rate. The assessment fee is waived if the child has participated in a previous group.
If a child cannot attend and we are notified at least 30 days prior to the start date of the program we will issue a refund, excluding a $300 non-refundable deposit for administrative fees. At the time of registration full payment is required to reserve a space. If less than 30 days notification is given, no refund will be provided.
How to apply
Please call us at (212) 308-3118 or request an appointment online and specify that you are interested in our Social Anxiety Groups.